Privacy of personal information is an important principle to our clinic. We are committed to collecting, using and disclosing personal information responsibly and only to the extent necessary for the services we provide. This document describes how we handle personal information.
WHO WE ARE
The Physio Centre employs Orthopedic Manual Therapists, Registered Massage Therapists, Physiotherapy Assistants.Massage Therapists, and support staff. The professionals and support staff have access to your personal information, and as such are sensitive to the nature and confidentiality of the information disclosed to us. In this clinic, Jocelyn McCreary, Office Manager, is also acting as Privacy Information Officer.
HOW INFORMATION IS COLLECTED
Information may be collected by telephone, by filling out forms, by personal interview, from direct examination and recording of services, and/or by transfer of medical information from one health care facility to another.
WHY INFORMATION IS COLLECTED
- To deliver safe and efficient care, including treatment plans and follow-up care.
- To document changes that occurs over time or with treatment.
- To comply with the regulatory requirements of each of the professions and to comply generally with the law under the Regulated Health Professionals Act (RHPA), and for the defence of a legal issue.
- To contact you, your family members or health care provides if needed.
- To invoice for services and collect for unpaid accounts.
- To effectively communicate with other healthcare professionals involved in your care.
PROTECTING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We understand the importance of protecting personal information and have taken the following steps:
- Paper information is either under supervision or secured in a locked cabinet.
QUESTIONS OR COMPLAINTS
Please contact this clinic to discuss any questions or concerns about your personal information. If we cannot satisfy your concerns, you are entitled to complain to the associated regulatory bodies. More information about Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, (PIPEDA) can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.